Monday, May 29, 2006

May 29, 2004

(Reliving our first trip, 2nd day in China, Saturday 5/29/04)

Hello from China!!! We are in Beijing! We are TIRED but enjoying ourselves very much. We flew and flew and flew to get here:

(Local airport) to Chicago: 55 minutes
Chicago to Los Angeles: 4 hours, 12 minutes
Los Angeles to Shanghai: 13 hours
Shanghai to Beijing: 1 hour, 40 minutes

The flights were pretty good although the last 5 hours of our flight to Shanghai was mostly turbulence. I felt pretty sick the last 2 hours or so, and was starting to feel very warm. That made me very nervous as they take your temperature in Shanghai and I didn't want to think about what would happen if mine was too high. I took 4 Motrin and I started to cool off and passed through Shanghai with no problems. I guess I could go on and on about our flights but I'll spare you that. I'll just say that my first time flying went fine and I can say I do like to fly. Ben did great too. It was so awesome to get through customs in Beijing and see our AWAA guides, Sherry and Lineker, holding up the AWAA sign.

We got to our hotel at about 12:30 p.m. last night, China time. We got to bed around 2:30 and slept until 6:30. At 9:00 we left for a full day of touring, and didn't get back until after 8:00 p.m. We went to Tianenman Square, the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace, a pearl factory/shop, a silk factory/shop, and a restaurant for lunch and again for supper. I found a little to eat at the lunch buffet but didn't eat much for supper.

Supper was an interesting experience. :-) The restaurant was pretty fancy and very large. The waiters and waitresses were on roller skates. Jay got up to take a picture of something and almost ran into one speeding by. The guy had to brake a little. :-) They put the food on a large lazy susan in the middle of the table. There was nothing there that I liked, it was all meat including squid. (side note: I'm a vegetarian.) I took a little rice and put a few vegetables from one of the meat dishes on top. I couldn't master the chopsticks so I used a little fork. Ben and Jay used the chopsticks. They had entertainment, girls doing different dances in different costumes. It was interesting.

We take a bus to and from each place and while we are driving along Sherry stands at the front with a microphone and tells us about the city and China, and some about herself. She is so nice and very funny. She's very interesting to listen to. She said she talks Chinglish. :-) Lineker is the same, very nice and funny. I don't think we could ask for 2 better guides.

Driving in Beijing is just as people tell you it is -- crazy! Our bus driver is always honking as he maneuvers around people or tells people to get out of the way. Lineker said he is the best bus driver in Beijing.

Now we're back at the hotel and ready for bed! Good night!!!!





Can you read the name of the restaurant? :-)



Outside our hotel



Me and MIL at pearl shop

No comments: