Monday, April 28, 2008

NFL Draft! and recipes

Yes, Jennifer, you read that right! LOL I guess you don't know me very well - I am a football NUT. I love, love, love the NFL and everything associated with it. Of course my #1 love is the Green Bay Packers! I bleed green and gold. Anyway....

My sister and I have had a "Draft Day Party" every year (except last year, my mom was in the hospital that weekend) for about the past 5-6 years of so. BTG (before the girls) we literally sat on the couch ALL DAY watching the draft. It's a bit more difficult now that the girls are running around, not quite as relaxing, but still fun! We still managed to sit on the couch without moving for quite a few hours. We were quite bummed when it ended early. We were prepared to go until 10:00.

We each pick players out of one of the Top 150 prospect lists we find on the internet and have fun seeing whose player gets picked each round. (Yes, we're weird but we LOVE it!) We had sandwiches for lunch and pizza for supper. We also eat very unhealthy, sugary snacks. :-) I made Oatmeal Caramel Bars (yes that is THREE sticks of butter):

Oatmeal Caramel Bars
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups butter, softened to room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg. caramels
1 small can evaporated milk
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt caramels with the entire can of evaporated milk. Set aside. Mix the first six ingredients, like a pie crust. Then add vanilla. Put 1/2 the mixture in a floured 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Top with the caramel mixture. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top. Bake for for 20 to 25 minutes longer, at 350 degrees.

Yum, yum!!! I know this is not the healthiest, lowest fat dessert! But I only make it once a year for Draft Day so give me a break. :-)

As if that's not enough sugar, here's what my sister brought:

French Lace Cookies
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup Crisco
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 caps vanilla

Boil ingredients except flour and vanilla to golden brown. Add flour then vanilla. Drop gloops on cookie sheet, bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes. (I'm not really sure exactly how long they take, you have to watch them.)

************

My sister and I talked about actually going to the draft in New York, maybe when the girls are teenagers. I'll let you know if and when we go so you can watch for us crazy Packer fans. LOL

They have 9 new players from the draft:

WR Jordy Nelson
QB Brian Brohm
CB Patrick Lee
TE Jermichael Finley
DE Jeremy Thompson
OG Josh Sitton
OT Breno Giacomini
QB Matt Flynn
WR Brett Swain (lose one Brett, get another!)

Go Pack Go!

1 comment:

Beth said...

This season should be an interesting one!

Did you hear the Brett moved to the 'Twin Cities'?

YUP...He wanted to get as far away fro professional football as possible. :)

I just heard that one last week. Hope it made you smile.

Beth